If this simple mistake can thwart the world's leading internet firm, it could thwart you too.
- Look into who in your company manages your domain regs.
- Review your regs every six months.
- To be safe, set all your domain regs to auto-renew.
- Make sure the credit card they're auto-renewing against is a stable company card.
- Make sure the contact email for your domains, and the email on the renewal creditcard for the domains, is a stable long-lasting email at your firm.
- If your registrar allows you to 'sync' your domains, do so, so they all come up for renewal at the same time.
Little details, but worth it.