17 RSS Marketing Ideas
17 ideas for using RSS for online marketing:
* Search results. Allow users to sign up for a RSS feed of search results, like Ebay does.
* Product availability. On out-of-stock products, let users subscribe to a feed to know when the item is available again.
* Price changes. For each product page, let users subscribe to a feed letting them know when the item price changes.
* New products. Let users subscribe to new product announcements. The Apple Mac store does this nicely.
* Press releases. Let press and investors subscribe to company news, like SAP does.
* Job openings. Use RSS to help your HR department fill vacancies. O’Reilly is doing it.
* Weather cancellations. Let people know of schedule changes due to weather, like Albemarle County VA public schools.
* On the road. Use RSS to keep your fans aware of when and where your brand will be on the road. Ozzy Ozborne does.
* Product how-to’s and tips. Publish tips and how-tos via RSS, just like PC World.
* User comments. Allow users to subscribe to comments, like Digg does.
* Rebates. Use RSS to provide rebate information, like FreeAfterRebates.
* Consumables. For consumables, offer a RSS reminder service. Time to buy more pet vitamins. Time to replace the air filters.
* User product photos. ThinkGeek lets users subscribe to photo feeds from other users.
* Industry news. Use RSS to share news about your industry with your customers, like Webtrends does.
* Partner Offers. Team up with other retailers offering complementary products. Offer users a feed of deals and coupons from the consortium.
* Official company blog. Offer your official company messages via RSS, like Google does.
* Employee blogs. Let your employees talk to your customers via blogs, like Sun does.
What other interesting uses of RSS have you seen? What other cool uses can you imagine?